Monday, April 18, 2011

A to Z Challenge - O

A to Z Challenge – O
O is for Obtuse….unfeeling, tactless, insensitive; blind, imperceptive, unobservant; gauche, boorish; slow, dim.
I remember the first time I ever heard this word used as something other than describing an angle, it was in one of my all time favorite movies, Shawshank Redemption.  Andy is an innocent man sent to prison for the murder of his wife and his wife’s lover, but he finds in prison a man who knows he is innocent and is talking to the warden about it – the warden of course doesn’t want to let Andy out of prison….Andy asks him, “How can you be so obtuse?”
I love that question! Absolutely love that question – I ask it several times a day in my brain!
To the customers that come in daily, to the phone calls that I get, to my children that continue to leave dirty laundry on the floor – How can you be so obtuse?! I may never utter it aloud to the customers in the store, or to the callers on the phone….my kids have heard it, probably don’t know what I am saying….they are thinking about the angles. They are wondering WHY on earth they are greater than 90 degrees. Is this a good thing? NO – how can you be so obtuse?! Really, is it SO hard to pick up the laundry off the floor, to bring your dirty dishes to the kitchen?
Is it perhaps a little obtuse to post this? Absolutely!
Sorry Pop, Tart and Frosting (although Frosting – you do pretty good when I count down from 5!).
Someday when you are parents you will understand.
To the customers, to the callers, to you and to me – let’s all try to not be Obtuse with one another…let’s all try to not be unfeeling, tactless, insensitive; blind, imperceptive, unobservant; gauche, boorish; slow, dim.
Maybe for just a day? I’ll do my part and I’ll gently remind you in my head to do yours – although I may get frustrated enough to say it out loud to you!
Live, Laugh, Love ~
Vanilla Mama

8 comments:

  1. "Shawshank redemtion", I heard my kids talking about how awesome that movie is, will now be on my list of "movies to watch". My English is alright, when it comes to understanding simple teminologies. This is the first time I heard a mathematical term being used as an adjective. Hey why not? It is not at all obtuse to post it. As a matter of fact I am learning so much reading your posts and posts like your.
    I have a hard time making my kids understand the terminologies of my language as my language is a second language to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawshank Redemtion and the Green Mile are both wonderful movies worth watching. Very well writen, moving and well acted. Learning another language is difficult and your written English is better than some that are born to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. VM, I too learned of "obtuse" from Shawshank Redemption. What a great show. You took me back to that exact moment when Andy said that to the warden...ayep. Oh and I just wanted to chime in on vanilla...I love true vanilla. It is probably the most extraordinary of the spices. The fact that you choose to use it says to me that you're an extraordinary person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another amusing and well-written post. I read some of your earlier posts and don't want to miss any more, so I'm following you now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I had a moment from the mundane life I live. Laughter! Thought I would stop by and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading this post. Shawshank Redemption is such a great movie. Next time I watch it I'll have to keep my ears open for that line.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arlee - this has been a very wonderful experience! Thanks so much!
    Footprints of Peace - Thanks for stopping by - I like your blog!
    Jabblog - Aww...shuks...I am checking yours daily!
    Michael - Your last post makes me want to get more people reading! Let's do it!!

    ReplyDelete

And your thoughts???