Saturday, January 29, 2011

Miss Hattie's Top Secret Coconutties

Here is what I attempted:
Coconutties
4 large egg whites
3 cups dried sweetened and shredded coconut
¾ c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp coconut extract
¼ c all purpose flour
½ c chopped macadamia nuts, divided
1 c white chocolate chips, divided
Directions;
Put egg whites, coconut, sugar, vanilla and coconut extracts and flour in a large heavy pot. Mix Well. Cook on low heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly so that it does not stick.

When mixture becomes thick remove from heat and let cool, still stirring occasionally. When mixture cools to room temperature add chopped ¼ cup of macadamia nuts and ½ c white chocolate chips. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 12-13 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool completely on the baking sheets.
Once cool, melt remaining white chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish for one minute on 70% power, stir. Cook for 30 seconds more on 70% power and stir again. Drizzle over each cookie and sprinkle with additional chopped macadamia nuts. Enjoy!


Here is the result:


All I can say is YUM! These are very tasty and really not as hard to make as I thought they were going to be. I did make a special trip to the store tonight for the white chocolate chips and nuts (was tempted to make them with the Pecans that I have in my freezer, but I wanted to be a purist!).  The recipe only makes about 2 1/2 dozen and I honestly think it will double very nicely.

The most amazing part of this recipe is that my son and one of my nephews (JOSH!) showed up as I was finishing a batch and they got to taste them. My nephew has never seen Despicable Me! and I think just based on his taste of the Coconutty cookies he will watch it!

Just as a side note - okay, not really a side note - I was so happy to see them tonight. My son is embarking on a very exciting journey playing in the USA vs. The World Football game this coming Wednesday, and I was already emotional over that! Getting to see one of my nephews was wonderful. What he really doesn't realize, and I told him tonight, is that he is in my thoughts daily. He is handsome and talented and tonight I was finally able to tell him that no matter what I am in his corner. (Crying Aunt hugging him tightly probably freaked him out a little - but, hey he is almost an adult and can handle it!) I truly treasure my nieces and nephews and do not get to spend the time with them that I would like to, but they are always in my heart and mind. These precious people walking the earth that I have watched grow (and will continue to watch) occupy me. An odd way of putting maybe, but it is true. I am so invested in them as people, as my family, as my heart – these young men, young women and children mean so much to me, that I don’t think they will understand until they are in my shoes.

Anyway – may they never be in my shoes and have a life of ease and leisure, but in the meantime….I am off to drizzle melting white chocolate on the last of the cookies and I plan on enjoying them.

Live, Laugh, Love ~ Vanilla Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts???