Monday, June 13, 2011

Character of Fortune

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.”
Here I am in Arkansas getting ready to register my Pop for college – I am so excited, so proud, so heartbroken all at the same time. Who knew so many emotions were possible in the same heartbeat?
I watched him with pride on Saturday as he walked across the stage and received his diploma, and I managed not to cry. We had a wonderful party for him with a video his father made that is beyond words amazing, this video brought him from an infant to now with well wishes from friends and family, managed not to cry. But, as I am sitting here in the hotel room while he is working out with his new football team – I think I may cry.
It is too real the fact that he is moving away, while I am sitting here. It is too soon that it is happening…seriously wasn’t he just that little baby that would peek at me through the bars of his cribs with his bright eyes in the middle of the night? Wasn’t he just that little boy running through the house with only his diaper on? Wasn’t he just this new big brother holding his little brother, Tart, and poking his cheek to make him giggle? So…where has the time gone?
It has flown. And, here I am.
What on earth does this have to do with my Fortune Cookie? (Which by the way I got at the local Chinese Buffett, along with my Hot and Sour!)
“Character is much easier kept than recovered.”
It is very valid advice to him and to any graduate as they head into this semi-grownup stage. Life right now is open to them in a way it may never be again. Fresh start on a new campus, new town, new teachers with no preconceived notions of them – Keep your character. Keep your integrity, keep the heart and soul of who you are and grow. This is your shot to really shine, to be on your own and show everyone your character.
How hard is it to recover character? Ask Michael Vick. Ask Congressman Weiner. Ask Arnold – will we look at any of them the same? Think about the friends and family that have through the years let you down…what does that say about their character? Can they recover it with you?
“Character is much easier kept than recovered.”
My Pop, My Tart (and my Frosting, who is a little young for this), you have amazing character – keep it!
The world is wide open, step into it!
Live, Laugh, Love ~
Vanilla Mama
PS – I don’t know if Arkansas has a lottery…guess I need to look into it! Your lucky numbers are 55, 5, 45, 28, 13, 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts???