Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Kindest Fortune

“A single kind word can keep one warm for years.”
I have all these little fortunes in a cup now, a few days ago I asked my middle son to pull out a fortune for me to write about….I set it aside and somehow lost track of where it ended up. So, then I asked my youngest to pull one, and guess what (even after shaking) he picked the exact same fortune.
My first response to this was, yes that is true and that word is Natural Gas! I know, not even really funny – but, I got a little groan from all the boys. Sometimes being the mother of three boys can be very challenging. I really don’t find all the bodily noises, poo-poo humor and gross jokes very funny. Some of the movies they want to watch absolutely curdle my stomach with all the gross out humor.  Totally off the topic I know – but, the point is I at least try to humor them and that is a “kind word” in the simplest way.
In reality if you are searching for deeper meaning for a fortune cookie – what exactly does that mean? “A single kind word can keep one warm for years.” Does it have to be a single word? Does that mean you are speaking it to others?
You can say kind words to others day in and day out and there is truth to the adage that you catch more flies with honey. Everyone craves kindness and consideration from other people, even the crabbiest people that we deal with day in and day out respond differently when you have kind words to return to them. It is very difficult to face a person who is verbally berating you because of something or another and you look them in the eye and with kindness (faked or real) and respond to them without acting out as they are. Sometimes it is an immediate ice cold slap to their face that they are being rude and abrasive – other times it is throwing gas on the fire….it can be the roll of the dice, especially if they think you are faking it. Not rising to it is the challenge….we’ve all been there in that situation where all it would take to take an argument or confrontation to the next level is the single wrong word!
“A single kind word can keep one warm for years.” What if this isn’t saying that you should share a kind word with another person?
“Gee, your new haircut looks amazing – you look so put together!”, “Wow, thanks. I needed to hear that!”
“I really think that you have been doing so good at school and keeping up with your responsibilities, I am so proud of you!” Awesome examples of kind words….but where do these come from?
What if, just what if that kind word is a single kind word that is in you….Caring?! Caring about the other people that you are interacting with. Caring about those grumpy disgruntled people who you come across day to day. Caring, that is a single kind word that can keep one warm for years! Then that becomes part of who you are and how you deal with people and things….if you care and it allow it to be a passion.
There is a song that I love that is about not going through the motions – I’ll post the lyrics – and it is all about that caring in your heart. Feeling and caring about everyday life….not going through the motions.
Live, Laugh, Love ~Vanilla Mama
Lucky Numbers (if you care) – 9,12,16,24,25,31
Matthew West - The Motions
This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way ('cause I don't wanna go through the motions)
take me all the way (I know I'm finally feeling something real)
take me all the way

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way (I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go)
take me all the way (through the motions)
take me all the way

I don't wanna go through the motions.
Matthew West
So, do you think he cares? First time I heard this song I cried!
VM

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts???